Old 21-02-2006, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default North facing wall climbers ??

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article , Rupert wrote:

What your Akebia is in full song NOW. ? I hate you :-)
Mine on a south facing wall in W Yorks puts on a display of sorts in May.
I always find that the lovely flowers are masked by the foliage

I am surprised. Mine is usually February to April, depending on
the weather - this year, it will be later than last. I don't find
the flowers masked so much as slightly sparse.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

It is nearly always deciduous in my garden and by the time it actually
flowers the leaf growth is so great that the flowers are not that
noticeable.
Perhaps by the time I do notice them its already done it's stuff a month or
two earlier :-)
Incidentally found this remark somewhe-
For large infestations, use of a labelled systemic herbicide, such as
glyphosate (e.g., Roundup) is probably the most effective method to control
akebia.
I have always treated it as something precious.