Old 21-02-2006, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

Default Gardeners Question time - Box

Ilex crenata - has the common name of the box leaved holly. There are
several varieties and some forms (which have small leaves but are not
shiney box like at al - thinking of I.c f latifolia).
A small green leafed, female variety being Mariesii produces plack
berries.
I.c. Convexa AGM, female, has curved leaves and black berries
I.c. Golden Gem, female, has yellowy / golden leaves with black
berries.
Most of the crenata's produce black berries, but some apparently
produce white or yellow berries; haven't seen them though.
I see that the RHS plant finder lists 35 varieties.
Googled this pic
http://www.ingwersen.co.uk/Ilex%20crenata%20'Mariesii'.htm
Regards
Clifford