Old 21-02-2006, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default North facing wall climbers ??

On 21/2/06 8:30, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article , Rupert wrote:

What your Akebia is in full song NOW. ? I hate you :-)
Mine on a south facing wall in W Yorks puts on a display of sorts in May.
I always find that the lovely flowers are masked by the foliage

I am surprised. Mine is usually February to April, depending on
the weather - this year, it will be later than last. I don't find
the flowers masked so much as slightly sparse.

pillar which is on the side of a path going down the nursery. It's not
wholly sheltered but it's fairly so and it is sunny. Like Nick, I find it
rather sparse in that it flowers at the top and I'd be interested to see it
made to grow low down, along a hand rail, for example or the top of a low
fence as I've seen Clematis cirrhosa grown. The latter is notorious for
flowering high up on its stems and it's a shame that the flowers so often
get overlooked, as a result.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk