Old 21-02-2006, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John McMillan

Default Sowing foxgloves in the Spring.

Thank you, various. I am most *particularly* interested in getting a
good result from these - I could, as you all intimate, just "throw
down the seed" - however, would any preparation help? I know of a
place where foxgloves grow - perhaps I should weed out any growing
there, and scatter some of last year's seeds where these were growing?

I assume that you're interested in a specific form of foxgloves,
rather than the ones that are already growing there? The first warning
should be that the common foxglove is a biennial, so any seed you plant
this year won't flower this year, but in a years time. Secondly, my
experience is that foxgloves are something of a law unto themselves.
they seem to grow where they want to and not elsewhere. They certainly
don't like it too dry - but the soil can be poor to non-existant without
upsetting them. They cope with some shade - but in deep shade
they don't prosper and won't flower. As Janet says, they are the
easiest plants to grow - but only where they want to grow.