Old 21-02-2006, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default North facing wall climbers ??

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:23:30 -0000
"Rupert" wrote:

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 00:32:46 +0000 (UTC)
NC wrote:

big snip

At the moment the trunk of the tree resembles the colour of a beech with
odd
green sections.

I see. That sounds similar bark to 'Okagami', which I grow. Very pretty
in
a subtle way. There is a wide variation of bark types and colors in the
palmatum cultivars, which to my taste adds much winter interest.

Snake bark maple springs to mind but it is a lot less pronounced than
that.

You mean it is actually striped?

Not at this moment but in summer it has a definate vertical markings to it
.. It's more of a surface effect than a grooving.

snip

BTW, I received my Kalopanax septemlobus a few days ago, it is
a truly bizarre looking thing, a 1.5 m stick with a single large, flat
brown bud on the top, entirely covered with very nasty looking thorns.
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom
by removing the well known companies

It took me a while to find a decent picture of the leaves. Well worthwhile.
Your initial description reminded me of the horsechestnuts that spring up
around here as a result of squirrels burying the nuts from a tree several
hundred yards away.
A straight stick with a bud that looks quite exotic--followed by a couple of
lovely leaves.
The nearest I have got to your Kalo is a Tetrapanax which has managed to
survive since I got it recently-even with a few hard frosts.