Old 22-02-2006, 12:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default North facing wall climbers ??

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:49:41 -0000
"Rupert" wrote:

"Emery Davis" wrote in message

[snip]

BTW, I received my Kalopanax septemlobus a few days ago, it is
a truly bizarre looking thing, a 1.5 m stick with a single large, flat
brown bud on the top, entirely covered with very nasty looking thorns.

[]
It took me a while to find a decent picture of the leaves. Well
worthwhile.
Your initial description reminded me of the horsechestnuts that spring up
around here as a result of squirrels burying the nuts from a tree several
hundred yards away.
A straight stick with a bud that looks quite exotic--followed by a couple
of
lovely leaves.
The nearest I have got to your Kalo is a Tetrapanax which has managed to
survive since I got it recently-even with a few hard frosts.

Braver man than I. That's a cracking plant, Tetrapanax, but without
a greenhouse I wouldn't try it here in Normandy.

The Kalopanax is meant to be quite rustic, I was told the scion
was taken from a tree in Berlin, and the nursery is in the Haute
Loire, where they see -20º. So I'm unlikely to freeze it. If
things ever get back to normal I might drown it, I suppose.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

The Tetrapanax thingy is just an experiment. I got confused by the different
descriptions of its nature. I like the various Fatsia Japonica so I thought
TP might be a good addition. I assumed that frost would raze it to the
ground but then it might re grow. At the moment it is stood proud and
defiant of the frost.
Thank you David Poole for your advice

Global warming is a wonderful thing . Your Kalopanax may drown but my
TeraPanax could well survive:-)