Old 22-02-2006, 12:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lynn

Default Rejuvenating Lilac (branching)...

Hi,
It should be ok just let it grow some more. My dad did the same thing years
ago and no problem.
--
Lynn

wrote in message
ups.com...
Howdy folks. I have a lilac that I'm rejuvenating. I whacked it to the
ground two years ago. There are several new shoots that have grown
well, but they are growing straight up and show no signs of branching
yet. The tallest shoots are a little over 3'.

My question: will these new shoots eventually begin to branch out or
would it be better to encourage branching by clipping above a bud?

I have no idea of the variety of the lilac. The original was about 12'
tall and leggy with maybe a 5' spread. Flower color is purple. I'm in
zone 5.
Picture of the new shoots he
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../DSC02484a.jpg
In the picture there is another of the same lilac behind the new
shoots. This lilac has only two legs and is in the process of
rejuvenation also. BTW, I plan on only keeping five or so of the new
shoots.

Anyway, any input is appreciated.
Felder.