Old 22-02-2006, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

Default North facing wall climbers ??

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

In terms of flowering climbers, you have clematis (most), honeysuckle
(the northern European ones), hydrangea and relatives, Akebia quinata,
WINTER jasmine, and precious little else. Don't bother with most of
the jasmines or passion flowers - they won't like it.

That being said, I do grow Passiflora incarnata on a north-east wall,
but it would do much better if I had a rain shadow facing south.

Climbers can also be substituted with things that can be grown against a
wall like chaenomeles, Mine's on a north wall and some flowers most of
the year, I just hack the bits off that grow forwards. Cut any growth to
about two or three buds seems to encourage flowering buds. Once that is
on the wall clematis will twine through it.
If it's someone else's wall I'd be very careful not to have anything
that might get out of hand or grow up into the roof of the garage like
ivies etc. He might move one day and the new neighbour may not be so
obliging!

Charlie Pridham gave several suggestions for good north facing clematis
which might be in the archives. They are worth a try.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph