Old 22-02-2006, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bevan Price

Default Turfing on top of existing grass ?

"adm" wrote in message
Dear All,

I presume this isn't recommended, but is it do-able nonetheless ?

I have a patch of grass that is about 5m x 15m that my dog has been busy
running around on over the winter and is now badly churned up in several
places.

I don't want to dig it all up or rotovate it particularly, but I do want
to replace it with good quality new grass.

Someone told me that at this time of year, it is possible to just rake
some good topsoil over the whole thing to level it up and then to simply
lay new turf right over the top....

Good/bad/indifferent ? Any advice ?

It may work, but it probably won't do much good for the drainage of water
from the new lawn, and you may get long term problems with moss growth in
the lawn. Better to re-seed as suggested by another post.

Bevan