Old 22-02-2006, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Default Is it worth trying to find parentage on box store "rescues"

Jack: Unless these Phals are _very_ distinctive clones, you don't have much
of a prayer of finding proper IDs/parentage. There are so many similar
crosses, and so much variation within each ...

But that may not necessarily be important. If all you want to do is enjoy
the flowers, you don't really need that. Proper IDS and parentage come into
play if you want to exhibit your plants in AOS event, or to breed with them.
For your own personal purposes, such as record-keeping, you can call them
anything you want. Might be good to put an * on the name to remind
yourself, years from now, that it's not actually a proper name ... G.

But if you are already running out of space at 35 orchids, YOU NEED MORE
SPACE G. And to remember that "throw-aways" take up just as much room as
quality plants. Kenni

"Jack" wrote in message
oups.com...
I picked up 4 phals from a box store (made friends with one of the guys
who works in the garden department who would rather sell me the orchids
for $5 than see them thrown away) I know that most of them are throw
aways from the flask grown for mass market, but.....

oh, and does anyone have the orchid math down yet?
how does 1+1+1+4=35 and no more room put more orchids?

Jack