Old 09-03-2003, 03:21 AM
Steve Wolfinger

Default [IBC] repot and prune together??

in a few weeks im planning on some repotting and pruning. I have a chinese
elm that is in bad need of repotting and root pruning... as it has been in
a nursery pot .. for what im thinking to be a couple of years. and was
growing through the pot and into the ground. The winter has already done
some top pruning for it. but i would like to shorten a few larger branches
as well. My question... which could just be a basic question for all
decidous dormant material. IS it ok to root prune, repot and top prune in
the same step while the tree is dormant?
or should i repot first.. then wait for some buds to swell before pruning
the top? (particularly for trees that are going from
one training pot to another) I'm thinking in the future to do my repotting
and root pruning in the late summer/fall to
avoid this. I know the answer to this question varies according to species
and general health of the tree.
but does anyone have any good basic guidelines.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++