Old 23-02-2006, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mark Anderson

Default Don't buy from Gurneys

In article says...
We have a contest around here to see if Home Depot or Wal-Mart can get
the most ideots working with the plants. Plus they don't pay any
attention to what area plants should be sent to. You are better off
going to a good greenhouse in your area.

The garden section in the 2 HDs by me totally suck. It's not just the
dead plants, and I'd never ever ever buy something perennial like an
evergreen from them, it's their total lack of selection compared with
the nurseries. For $2, the price of a single basil plant at HD, I can
get a 4 pack of sweet basil. Same goes for the fennels, hot peppers,
tomatoes, etc.

The Menards by me doesn't even attempt to run a garden center. They
sell garden stuff and soil but they outsource the actual plant selling
to a local nursery who sets up a temporary shop in Menards' parking lot.
It works quite well and the parking lot nursery setup has a good
selection, they keep everything watered, and they don't try to gouge.