Old 23-02-2006, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
newsb

Default North facing wall climbers ??

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from newsb contains these words:

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from NC contains these words:

It will still be exhaustingly audible to the neighbours. You've got
nice neighbours, but I promise you that the rythmic thud of a kid's
ball/trampoline/drumkit for hours on end can strain the patience of the
best; especially galling for yours if the sound comes courtesy of their
own garage wall.

Don't think so - when I reach back to the dim and distant, I remember
playing football in the garden - and *if* the ball went "out of bounds"
- ie, into prickly stuff - it got burst. We tried to avoid this, just
as we tried to avoid the ball going into the neighbours' gardens. The
idea wasn't to bounce the ball against the garage - it was to play
football.

Maybe you missed the start of the thread? You edited out the context
of my post.

On the contrary - I was referring to the fact that when I was young we
did the opposite.

Someone suggested, the kind neighbour who owns the garage wall might
prefer the OP to plant prickly climbers. So that lads won't ever
deliberately use his ball-bursting garage wall for footie practice.

Apart from the fact that we didn't use the garage wall for anything
much, we would also have been aware of "intruding" on the neighbours
"environment" by banging anything repeatedly on it. The garage wall in
one house we had did have climbing roses on - and it was an accident
when the ball went there. The next house didn't - but we still didn't
use it as a goal or ball returner.

Besides and perhaps more to the point, in my experience, a garage wall
with non-thorny plants would be as effective at stopping it being used
as a target. I don't think many kids want to be vandals in their own
garden (where it can be see who is responsible for mashing all the
plants). If they are, there is something wrong, I think.

Kids today conserve their energy :-(. They often use a wall as goal
backstop, or for kicking a ball against to practise ball-control skills.
It can be a noise nuisance.

I'm sure it could be a nuisance when it happens. However, I'm not so
sure that your statement re the activities of kids today is quite as
pervasive as it implies to me. At the age when they're likely to want
to play football they seem to have plenty of energy to me...

Of course, the degree to which kids consider others will be very
variable - often resulting from what their parents instil in them.
However, of those that play football in their gardens, I'd expect there
still to be more "good" than "bad".

Of course, a garden sans thorns at all is in any event, very unlikely.
Good job too - I'm sure their presence helps to encourage better
accuracy and profits for ball makers - in inverse proprtion.

--
regards andyw