Old 09-03-2003, 04:20 AM
Bob Alston

Default CO2 question

Best I can tell the bubbles in my diffuser/reactor are only co2 bubbles.
Cause that is what I am bubbling in. It is my understanding that
concentrations of co2 do not interfere with concentrations of O2 and vice
versa. anyway the reactor seems to ensure all the co2 gets absorbed by the
water and none lost, bubbling to the surface.

Bob
"mark" wrote in message
. ca...
when you use that diffuser does the pump on it fill the tube of the

diffuser
with oxygen,when your water gets oxygenated from your plant,I find my main
filter shoots out oxygen when my plants start to peal due to a high oxygen
content in the water.I guees it could be c02 becuse there would be a high
content of that too,but i think it's oxygen, would that mess things up in
the reactor. thx
"Bob Alston" wrote in message
. ..
I initially used a fine airstone as a diffuser. Eventually I decided on

reactor from Plant Guild.

http://www.familychest.com/plantguil..._reactors.html

I have been very happy with it in my 55 gal.

Bob
"Bob A" wrote in message
55g tank.

I have had 2 bottles going for a few days, and getting over a bubble

per
second. Maybe the second batch is a better brew. I am reading 17ppm

CO2.

I do suspect I'm losing a lot of the CO2 with this type of reactor.

I'm
going to be searching for something better. I saw some at

marinemonsters
for $25, may look into those again.

I have decided to take out my heater, so putting in a reactor won't be

so
bad.

I don't know if this was a good idea (comments?) but when my pH got

down
6.8 I added 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, tested KH a few hours later, and

it
had gone up from 2d to 3d. PH level did not change appreciably.

thanks!

bob

"Bob Alston" wrote in message
. ..
Not clear how large your tank is? For my 55 gal, I needed two DIY

2-liter
bottles. I have since switched to compressed gas.

also the bio-wheel on the emperor will cause you to lose a lot of

co2.
Best
if you don't have such (i.e. another type of filter) or at least

keep
the
water level filled up high to reduce the splashing of water.

Possible
remove the biowheel,; never have done that; of course that removes

some
of
your bio filtration.

Bob Alston
"Bob A" wrote in message
First I want to thank everyone who has helped me get started on

DIY
CO2,
and
especially Kush who told me I might be using water that was too

hot...
that
was in fact the problem.

I also read Leigh's response to someone regarding doubling the

amount
of
mixture in the bottle, and did that, and it gave me more frequent
bubbles
than I had had, but the pH didn't go down.

I'm getting a bubble about every 3-4 seconds, piped into the

intake
of
my
Emperor 400 power filter. My CO2 normally has been about 2-3, now

it
is
staying a fairly stable 8ppm (KH 2 & pH 7).

I am even seeing a little pearling which is very rewarding. My

question
is,
should I be satisfied with this? I would love to see more

pearling,
but
don't necessarily want extra-rapid plant grown... I would like

them
grow
of course, but.... I think you understand.

Also, I'm suspecting the Emporer is not making the best use of the

CO2
I'm
getting. Are there any suggestions that aren't (1) very expensive

(2
and
more important) won't look ugly in my tank.

thanks so much,

bob