Old 23-02-2006, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Chlorine Resistant Plants & Flowers

"kerry2" wrote in message

I wonder would anyone have suggestions in relation to flowers and plants
that are chlorine resistant.

We are developing a new fountain in a public area, surrounded by a
flower bed. For public health reasons the water in the fountain must
be treated with chlorine. In windy conditions some of the fountain
spray is likely to waft onto the adjacent flower bed.

I wonder could anyone suggest flowers or plants that may be suitable in
these conditions.

Regards,

John.
kerry2

It depends a lot on what material you are using to chlorinate the fountain
and at what level the chlorine will be maintained.
If it's the normal swimming pool technology using bleach or granular
chlorine in a buffered solution of bicarbonate/calcium chloride then the
spray will be salty and I guess coastal plants would do fine.
There are better sanitizers such as peroxide which would be a safer bet but
cost could be an issue.

As to which plants do well in salty conditions I do not know but someone
else will hopefully give you a few clues.