Old 24-02-2006, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default North facing wall climbers ??

Emery Davis wrote:

(snip)

The above vary in size from young to about 12 ft. The exposed ones are
all established except for pseudosieboldianum, which I expect will
be trouble free. (There, I probably just killed it...)
Anyway, I hope the above list may prove useful to the adventurous!

I have the palmatum atropurpureum - blood leaf. It's been in a pot for
over 10 years, and as explained here a while ago, the roots took on the
ground through the pot and I'm now kind of stuck with it. It is happy.
When I moved house I had to move it around a few times to find it's
best place. It doesn't like being touched by walls or fence and it is
slightly shadowed by a holly, and has been happy there for about 5
years.

However, last year it failed for the second autumn to turn bright
orange / red because it didn't even went all red but was over 80% I'd
say with green leaves. This year, and I'm not too surprised because of
the long warm weather we've had, it gave some fruits for the first
time. Now, I wondered if you knew why it's now not going red as it
should?