Old 24-02-2006, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

Default North facing wall climbers ??

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:59:37 +0000
Sacha wrote:

On 23/2/06 23:55, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

snip of great information

Anyway, I hope the above list may prove useful to the adventurous!

It certainly has! In fact, this bit of the thread has inspired us to plant
a 'grove' of maples around what was the duck pond! We're going to let itbe

maniacally chuckling Infected another! Great idea though.

a wildlife pond now and as it is up against a fairly high granite wall,
won't be in direct path of the east wind that hurls itself against our front
door with monotonous regularity at this time of year. I'm looking for Acer
palmatum Coonara Pygmy both for ourselves and to stock in the nursery. It
sounds and looks a beautiful little tree and I think it would be popular.

Hmm, may be a problem, if Ray does his own grafting...

From "Maples for Gardens":

"... it is difficult to propagate. As often seen in witches'-brooms,
it is short lived and dies back suddenly. It is only rarely available in
the nursery trade due to its fragility, otherwise it would be one of
the few maples suitable for rock gardens."

However neither Harris nor Vertrees express any problems with
it, so maybe there's more than one version around. Lovely plant
in any case.

-E
--
Emery Davis