Old 24-02-2006, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Rock dust

On 24/2/06 13:47, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Janet Baraclough writes:

| It's spelled two ways (by Bar(r)acloughs), and approximately 37 ways
| by the rest of the ignorant world including my brother. Don't get me
| started on how they mispronounce it...

Only 37? You should try Maclaren - it is spelled well over 100
ways by members of the clan Labhran, and many times that in error.
For some reason, the English are especially incapable of even
copying what is in front of them in print.

My ex's surname was Villiers which is pronounced without the final 'i' being
sounded, as in 'Villers'. I lost count of the infuriating numbers of times
I would give the name correctly to someone who would then repeat it as
Villyers, as if they knew better than I did how to pronounce my name. And
then there were the numerous occasions when envelopes would be addressed to
us as if we were houses......!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk