Old 24-02-2006, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bernard Peek

Default Chlorine Resistant Plants & Flowers

In message , kerry2
writes

I wonder would anyone have suggestions in relation to flowers and plants
that are chlorine resistant.

We are developing a new fountain in a public area, surrounded by a
flower bed. For public health reasons the water in the fountain must
be treated with chlorine. In windy conditions some of the fountain
spray is likely to waft onto the adjacent flower bed.

I wonder could anyone suggest flowers or plants that may be suitable in
these conditions.

Tough one. Chlorine will kill anything dead. I suspect that your best
bet would be to choose plants with a thick cuticle so that the leaves
won't be attacked. The chlorine will probably be at least partially
neutralised when it hits the soil.

Happily, these are likely to be the same salt tolerant plants that have
already been suggested.

--
Bernard Peek
London, UK. DBA, Manager, Trainer & Author.