Old 24-02-2006, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Chlorine Resistant Plants & Flowers

In article ,
Bernard Peek writes:
| In message , kerry2
| writes
|
| I wonder would anyone have suggestions in relation to flowers and plants
| that are chlorine resistant.
|
| Tough one. Chlorine will kill anything dead.

Er, no. Dilute solutions of sodium hypochlorite (bleach) are used
to sterilise seeds and even seedlings, rarely with any harmful effect.
Yes, it does damage living tissue but, at the dilution used, is
unlikely to be a major killer. Also, it will be quickly neutralised
(to common salt) by its oxidising action, and will then leach away
in the rain.

Now, that assumes it is merely a bit of spray - if the fountain
leaks into the bed, then it may well kill the plants.

| I suspect that your best
| bet would be to choose plants with a thick cuticle so that the leaves
| won't be attacked. The chlorine will probably be at least partially
| neutralised when it hits the soil.
|
| Happily, these are likely to be the same salt tolerant plants that have
| already been suggested.

Yes. I doubt that they will have any trouble, but some of the
salt-sensitive plants might.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.