Old 09-03-2003, 07:08 AM
JimS.

Default S&W Greenhouse Roses

Aha! .....Joseph's Coat....you've succumbed. If you recall-- that's the one
I picked up last year at the same time as I bought (on your urgeing!) Don
Juan. You're gonna love Joseph's Coat-- and it doesn't look anything like
the picture they had with it in the nursery, either.

BTW---- I've always bought J&P as boxed roses at Costco for $9.99. Last
week I finally bought a bareroot J&P rose from a yuppie-nursery in North
Seattle. But it had roots way bigger than 6", most at least 10-12#. I know
everyone loves to take shots at J&P, but I've never bought a single one of
them that crapped out on me.

JimS.
Seattle

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.b1ef7aaee65a820f8227ac9172248ee8 @1047179406.cotse.net...
My order--placed last October--just arrived. As expected, these are Weeks
and Jackson and Perkins bare roots. I have bought these brands potted and
boxed, but never bare root. These and Star roses are the most common
brands of potted roses I see here in Raleigh.

So why order them from S&W? They were all $12.99!! J&P boxed roses start
at $17, potted go for more. Also, S&W had a great selection.

Side by side, my Weeks and J&P roses are like night and day. The Weeks
roses, every one of them, are robust things with five and more fresh green
canes and many, many 12-18-inch long roots!! Prettiest bare roots I have
ever seen. Edmunds' bare roots had thicker canes, but these have more
canes and better roots. The J&P roses--thank heavens there are more from
Weeks in the lot--all have 5-6-inch roots, and are very small. I have
always had good luck with my potted J&P roses--but I can now see why
people say they are not the best quality in bare roots. It hardly makes
sense to hack off the roots on bare root roses--I can see it with
container roses, due to space considerations, but why with bare roots?

My Weeks Distant Drums is the Hoss of the bunch--10 canes if it has one,
and the most amazing MANE of roots! A single rose--a smallish J&P--has
canker on one cane. I cut it off at the bud union and saw the telltale
brown smushy pith. I am going to ask for a replacement. I'll lay that
sucker on the scanner and see what they have to say for themselves.

The haul:

Joseph's Coat
Heart of Gold
Distant Drums
Crystalline
Simply Marvelous
Barbara Streisand
Blue Nile
Arizona
Outta the Blue!
Royal Amethyst

and some others ... too bushed to recall them all.

My beauties are soaking on the side porch where they will stay warm enough
regardless of the vicissitudes of March weather. Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!