Old 09-03-2003, 08:32 AM
david

Default Rant--why don't nurseries label things better?

For the small nursery it can be a problem, over 90% of customers don't want
to know the "Proper" name of a plant, and would rather buy it in flower or
from a picture.
You have those customers that remove labels to read then just stick them
back in the nearest pot, I have seen a plant with 5 different labels in it.
Easy when Thymus label is in rosemary, but much harder when different
varieties of the same plant, Mint cam be fairly easy to re label, but the
different forms of Michelmass Daisy can be almost impossible till around
flowering time like the idea I came across on one nursery where they have
bed labels well fastened down and if you want your plants labelled you pick
up a pencil and labels and write them yourself.
But this still doesn't stop those who pick up a plant and put it down
somewhere else. (We've all seen the cans of baked beans amongst the cans of
meat or fruit where someone had changed their mind and cant be bothered to
take them back to the place they got them from).

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries