Old 09-03-2003, 12:44 PM
David

Default Childproofing garden ponds.

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , Paul Kelly
writes

Only 18% drowned in their own gardens.
29% drowned while visiting, or being cared for, at a relative’s home.
10% drowned while their parents were visiting a friend’s home.
The largest percentage (39%) drowned in a neighbour’s pond after wandering
away from their own home or the home of the people they were visiting.

Probably the percentage is so high because they had been so
overprotected they had no idea of the danger associated with water!!!!!

Within the last 6 months we have been forced, by public pressure, to
build a fence around the village pond despite the fact that the pond has
been there since god was a boy and no record or memory of there being
any incident concerning it, we are truly becoming a nanny state.
The latest is that the fence isn't good enough as a child could still
get through it, next we'll have to fence off all roads as well
--
David