Old 09-03-2003, 01:20 PM
kush

Default CO2 question

Bob Alston wrote ...

It is my understanding that concentrations of co2 do not interfere with

concentrations of O2 and vice
versa

That's true only to a point. Liquid water has a finite capacity to contain
dissolved gasses. Beyond a certain point, it isn't helpful to add more gas
because the excess will simply bubble out. A pressure bubble builds over
the impeller in your mechanical filter, which every so often comes out with
a rush - in my house scaring the bejeezus out of the cat who sleeps under
the tank stand where it's nice and warm.

Colder water contains more dissolved gasses than warmer water. Therefore,
as you raise your temperature on your thermostat, you reduce the potential
for total dissolved CO2 and O. I keep my thermostats set between 72º and
74º, which probably ****es off my angels, but which is good for my plants
and also inhibits algae growth.