Old 09-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Frogleg

Default Emergency transplant of bulbs

On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 00:21:32 GMT, "Robert Gray"
wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions. It will indeed be several feet of fill, so
leaving them there is not an option. They have a growth of about 4-6 inches
so far. And I think I remember them being daffadils.

Oops. I, too, read 2-3 inches, not feet. There's a practice called
"heeling in" which means, roughly, putting plants *somewhere*, either
in some corner of the garden or maybe a container (with dirt), until
you can find the proper place to plant them. I would recommend this
over just putting them in basement storage -- after blooming, bulb
foliage grows for a time to gather strength for next year's blossoms.
After the foliage dies is, as you know, the ideal time for digging up,
dividing, and transplanting. Most will probably survive, in any case.