Old 09-03-2003, 04:00 PM
Tom La Bron

Default Koi & Trout

Jan,

Just thought I would chime in here late to add to the conversation. The
river trout probably would not do to well if there was not significant water
movement in the 500 gallon pond (it depends on the temp conditions of the
river he got the fish from), and the temps were kept on the cooler side.
Lake trout would probably be better, but lakes where they come from are
usually pretty cool water any way.

Since he wants to put them in to the pond to fatten them up and eat them
later, the one thing that has not been mentioned is the food he will be
feeding them. The food he is feeding his KOI/Goldfish may lend a
flavor/aroma to the trout flesh once they are prepared for the table. This
is one of the big considerations that aquaculture farmers of food fish have
to deal with (which trout is one), is the flavor that may turn up, usually
because of the food, but could also come from the pond's particular
environment and this too could lend a flavor/aroma to the trout flesh once
it is clean and ready for the table.

Tom L.L.
"~ jan" wrote in message
s.com...
How would you answer this?

Asked of me by a fellow Master Gardener, where our mottos is, "If I don't
know, I will find out" therefore.....

Jim: I have a 500 gallon pond, with a few large koi and I want to know if

can toss a couple of trout in that I catch from the local river? Since
they'll eat while it's cold I could fatten them up before I fry them up.
Would this be a problem?

My answer: I don't know, but I'll find out.

How would you answer him rec.ponders??? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a