Old 09-03-2003, 06:34 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Sprouting/Growing Edible Chestnut?

In article ,
Terry wrote:
When it is eventually time to transplant outside, this is a cold
Atlantic coastal climate with a long winter; possibly similar to
Northern Scotland?

Chestnuts are pretty tough, and grow right up to northern Scotland,
though I can imagine that they are more delicate before they establish
themselves. Depending on how close you are to the sea, you may want
to choose a fairly unfrosty situation. I doubt that it will have much
trouble with lack of summer heat, except that it may not produce many
nuts. Once established, it will probably regrow from its roots even
if cut down by a hard winter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679