Old 09-03-2003, 07:08 PM
B & J

Default Dividing begonia bulbs

wrote in message
I have a begonia bulb that is 5 inches across and am wondering if I
can divide it.

Lori

When you refer to begonia "bulb," I assume you mean the tuberous begonia,
which really isn't a bulb producing plant. Yes, it's easy to divide. Use a
sharp knife and cut it apart, making sure each section has sprouting "eyes."
Dust each cut section with sulfur to prevent rot and plant.

If you aren't quite sure where sprouts will develop, another method I've
used, which works equally well, is to plant the tuber, wait until sprout are
1" - 2" tall, use a sharp knife to cut the tuber apart at growing sections
along with the roots, remove from that pot, and immediately repot.

I frequently used the latter method to cut apart smaller tubers that I
wanted to propagate.

John