Old 09-03-2003, 07:57 PM
Phisherman

Default multiple african violets in the same pot????

On 8 Mar 2003 21:47:19 -0800, (Ted Byers)
wrote:

I have a little over half a dozen african violets, each in a 10 cm
plastic pot. I know putting plants in a pot that is too large is as
risky as putting them in one that is too small. I have several large
oval shaped pots, which are about 25cm x 50 cm, and about 12 cm high.
I am wondering if they will do well planted together in one or two of
these large pots. How close together should the plants be? Putting
begonias in these pots did not work well at all, and I am not sure
why. If there is a risk that the african violets won't do well
together, then I'd just as soon leave them in individual pots and see
if I can find something else that will do well in these pots.

AFs usually grow well in individual pots, and do better when
transplanted into the next size pot (without skipping a size). A
10cm pot is about the largest for a typical AF to spend the rest of
its days. Due to the circular symmetry of AFs, they probably would
not look as well grouped in one pot as they would grouped together in
individual pots without touching each other. Often, AFs will grow
multiple crowns and this looks like there are more than one plant in a
pot--personally, I don't like this appearance.