Old 09-03-2003, 08:10 PM
animaux

Default Soil test??'s

On Sat, 08 Mar 2003 23:52:50 GMT, (Terry Horton) wrote:

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 14:48:17 GMT, animaux
wrote:

Compost should not be used on soils where phosphorous levels are known
or suspected to be high.

Why?

Compost's chemistry is generally poorly quantified if at all, and its
phosphorous content can be quite high. This is standard Aggie soil
lab recommendation.

I rarely follow aggie instructions, nor do I always trust their methods...being
a land grant University and all.

I've been a gardener all my life and nothing has ever been more viable to soil
structure and texture than compost. I'll stick with my own findings.

On the other hand, finally the aggies came to the conclusion all of us organic
gardeners have known for decades that, slow release organic fertilizer is
superior to any and all other forms of synthetic fertilizers. They don't force
feed and make turf dependant, but they add OM to the soil which feeds organisms
which make available elements which otherwise would be tied up in the soil.

Thank you FINALLY Texas A&M.