Old 25-02-2006, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Flower Bobdew

Default quick-ish results

In article .com, La
Puce writes

Flower Bobdew wrote:

Slightly bad timing, I know... But one of the teacher's at school today
asked if there was anything anyone could recommend planting now for a
youth project. Clearly they are after fairly quick results, but given
the time of year - and being relatively new to gardening - I really
couldn't think of anything off the top of my head. Something which might
have the audacity to show its face within a few weeks would be
appreciated.
Any thoughts/suggestions?
Besides wait until spring!

Someone suggested the other day on this forum watercress as it's quick
and you can gobble it up afterwards.

Well, these are high school kids - and mainly ones not renowned for
their patience or enthusiasm - so they might not take kindly to a
potentially childish sounding suggestion. However...

Hyacinth bulb too would be good now, perhaps you could repot some that
have already started growing and see the result through the fish tank.
The move won't bother the bulbs at all. At home I use a hyacinth glass
but I start these for xmas. But now would be fine too using jam jar and
the kids could each have their jar.

....that might be a possibility.

(I wish my kids were still little )

I know a teacher who probably wishes that some of these still were!

Look what I've found ...

http://www.netguides.org.uk/brownies...gs_winter.html

Interesting.

Ahem... Okay, slightly daft question coming, I fear...

Erm, so when do you remove the bulbs from the dark place? When the roots
appear, when the shoot appears, or when the shoot is a certain length? I
never thought this would be so complicated! LOL! : D

Oh, and any idea how long this process - from planting to flowering - is
likely to take?

Thanks for the suggestion...

--
Flower Bobdew