Old 25-02-2006, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Flower Bobdew

Default quick-ish results

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

The message
from Flower Bobdew contains these words:

In article .com, La
Puce writes

Flower Bobdew wrote:

Slightly bad timing, I know... But one of the teacher's at school today
asked if there was anything anyone could recommend planting now for a
youth project. Clearly they are after fairly quick results, but given
the time of year - and being relatively new to gardening - I really
couldn't think of anything off the top of my head.

Well, these are high school kids - and mainly ones not renowned for
their patience or enthusiasm - so they might not take kindly to a
potentially childish sounding suggestion.

Especially as they have almost certainly grown beans and bulbs at
primary school.

Teenagers like money-making enterprises. How about propagating plants
for sale, by seed and cuttings and divisions, as a fundraiser for
charity, to green up the school, or to finance a class outing? That
would open a very wide range of related topics, and would be a
face-saving cover for growing very quick easy things like sunflowers,
pots of mixed herbs, spiderplants, even sprouting seeds and fast
greens and wheatgrass for healthy lunch snacks. There's nothing much
faster than wheatgrass :-)

I think the 'time' aspect might be an issue with some of these ideas
[e.g. particularly related to cuttings, divisions and learning 'how to',
etc.], but I'll certainly investigate some of the potential suggestions
here, Janet. Thanks.

--
Flower Bobdew
South Facing Garden