Old 13-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Julia

Default DOWNEY MILDEW

rosy wrote:
The last few years I've had losses, most certainly to "Downey Mildew".....
(not powdery mildew) with red blotches on the canes, and general malaise of
the plant...... spraying with Daconil....... it appears to spread.

Is there anything I can do besides start over? I have over 100 roses.

Been there. Done that. The only fungicide that will touch downy (no
'e') mildew is Aliette. You're wasting your time and money using
anything else. When temps climb to over 80, the disease will go
dormant. It's really a pretty vicious ailment and I know that some
growers spray bare-roots for it before shipping. But Cass is right when
she says you should confirm it's downy before you cough up $140 for more
chemicals, because it very much resembles other scourges.

http://rosemania.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page5.html