Old 25-02-2006, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Dealing with early dormancy breaking

Dave,
I am in Z8 in the NW. I have been very worried about my roses, we have
gone from sixty to fifteen degrees in one week. I have a ton of new
growth on tree,ground cover,etc roses.I have never seen so much new
growth by Feb.

I am going to do what I do every year...wait til mid March and prune
them down, new growth and all. That has worked for years and hopefully
we will not have frost after March.

I think fertilizing early is chancy. I start my roses off with a few
cloves of garlic each year and am going to try really rotten banana
peels, advice from a local TV gardener, then wait until end of April
for the "real" fertilizer.

If you fertilize early, I would appreciate hearing how it worked.