Old 25-02-2006, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

Default Bareroot vs. potted

"jtill" wrote in message
oups.com...
Both TEAS and Robertson's rose shops where I buy most of my plants
purchase bare root roses from Weeks and Jackson and Perkins and pot
them. Then, they sell them as potted plants. Same for LOWE"S and Home
Depot. I don't know of ANY rose shop that sell plants that are truly
potted, whatever that term means today. Once that term meant a plant
that had been grown in a pot, now it just refers to a plant that has
dirt in a pot around a bare rooted plant. The container plant may have
a head start on bare root but not by much. The bare root is easier to
trim and plant also you can select a better root system. I think bare
root is best.
Joe T
Baytown, TX

One of my local nurseries has switched to selling
potted roses, rather than buying bare roots and
potting them up themselves. They told me it's
easier for them to let someone else do the work
and it doesn't cut into their profit any more than
the method they used to use. Plus, the roses have
been in pots larger and are better established by
the time the nursery starts selling them.

Other local nurseries are still doing it themselves,
so it appears to be an individual store decision.

I've planted roses in all forms so it doesn't matter
to me.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8