Old 26-02-2006, 07:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
submon

Default Composting Question

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 12:33:39 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 10:18:45 GMT, submon wrote:

Hi, I've gotten into composting and I like to get everything in
there. During XMas we had tonnes of nuts and I have gone to the
trouble of using an old blender to take the shells of the nuts and get
them down to a smaller consistency. I just wonder if my enthusiasm
got the better of me and is this wise? I've ground hazelnuts, pecan,
walnut. Now I've read in this group that walnut trees can affect
other plants, but what about the shells? Will I have to toss my
compost?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Several handfuls of walnut shells won't have much impact on a 30-cubic
foot compost heap. Just stay away from adding animal products and
oils.

Thanks, I was worried about wasting all my compost. No animal or oil
in my compost....I've tried to be careful.