Old 13-02-2003, 06:25 PM
Bill Hewitt

Default when to plant?

In my experience, they will not do as well when you do that. Also, the
stress will invite insects and disease. The best that you can hope for is
the same results as if you waited.

On the other hand, planting SEEDS directly in the ground at that time works
great for me. There is an illusion of getting a later start, but I have
found that while it takes a while to catch up, the plants tend be much
healthier and I have a much better overall crop by doing that. I read some
research for a university that supported my experiences, too.

Apparently, the stress of transplanting basically offsets and gain you get
by starting with a plant instead of a seed.

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
Our last frost date is May 24. Does this mean that tomatoes may be

planted at
this time even though the soil is still cool?I would, of course, have

hardened
off the plants prior to this.
---
This message prepared using voice recognition technology. There
may be 'air roars'.