Old 26-02-2006, 08:11 AM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

Default POND repeats

"~ janj" wrote in message
Thinking back to what an idiot I was when I first started posting here
and
posted my Blue Heron Beer picture here. Everyone was quite gentle. °~)

That was back in the day I could see pictures, I remember it. Now my
ISP
(I assume) must stop the pics, as I haven't been able to view a mis-sent
pic in 2-3 years. ~ jan

A lot of news servers automatically strip out image attachments, or expire
them very quickly. In particular the alt.binaries newsgroups can account for
a significant portion of the news server traffic. In the past this was
tolerated because an ISP managed news server with a long retention policy
was a selling point.

These days the value of Usenet is significantly depreciated, webforums and
mailing lists have largely replaced Usenet. When I worked for a certain
isp, we discovered that less then 1% of the subscribers accessed the
newsserver on a regular basis, and those that did basically only cared about
pornography and piracy, so we significantly reduced our labor and hardware
investment into that service, and focused on the content and services more
people used.

-S