Old 26-02-2006, 06:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

Default Bareroot vs. potted

"jtill" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do you leave the roses in pots for a while?

Depends. One nursery I bought a potted rose
from a month ago said the roses had recently
been potted and I should wait to plant them.
Since the planting hole wasn't ready yet, that
suited my schedule fine.

But I've had roses in pots for months whose
root balls still almost fell apart when I took them
out later on, so I'm just super careful when I
remove any potted rose from its container.

I got several from
Robertson;s and repotted them. They were not ready, had little new
roots, must have been in the pot only a short time. So, I picked up
four from TEAS and am letting them stay in the pot for a while, let the
roots grab the pot soil to make repotting easier and hopefully better.

Makes sense to me. I've grown roses from cuttings
and have done the same thing you did - repotted to
let them grow out in a larger pot before planting.

I sold my business and house and am now renting, looking for a new home
like that ole Bole Weavil!, anyway, am potting all my roses in 16" pots
and have installed a drip irrigation system for them. Want to see how
that works. They are doing fine so far. If I ever have a home won't
leave them behind. I plan to keep them pruned to fit their pots, say
about 3' by 3', should be interesting. Later when I really plant them I
will use the drip system. My bunch is; Tiffany, Chrysler Imp., Fourth
of July, Fragrant Hour, Double Delight, Sun Sprite and Granada. Fourth
of July and Granada are new to me, the others are old friends. What do
you think?
Joe T
Baytown

I think it's a great idea. On the one hand I would
happily leave most of my 150 roses behind when
I move so I can start over. On the other hand
there are a couple roses that were hard to find in
the first place, and I'll either grow babies from
cuttings or do as you did and take the original
rose along when I move.

Also, I recall someone who used to post here
a lot who had all of his roses in pots because he
really had no place to plant them. I think he
lives in AZ on a smallish lot. Having roses in
pots can work.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8