Old 10-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Default Soil test??'s

Terry Horton wrote:
Well, yes and no. :-) Phosphorus is in constant flux in soil (a
single atom of phosphorus could be available and unavailable to the
plant several times a day). Roots hairs exude acids that solubilize
nearby phosphates.

And the same acids are readily neutralized by the soil. I'd agree there is
a state of flux, but I'm guessing the overall balance remains neutral.

point the owner has to begin the process of removing more phosphorous

If the P available is not bio-available, then the plants will suffer from
lack of P. But you know this.

from the soil than is being applied, or suffer increasing problems
from P in the long run.

So how do you propose dealing with the fact that the P in the soil is not
available for plants to use? Acidify the soil? That ain't gonna work.

Perhaps an effective treatment for high P would involve removal of
grass clippings and leaves followed application of a low-P organic
fertilizer. Synthetic fertilizers and compost (which tends to be
poorly analyzed but in general relatively high in P) would be avoided.

I fail to see how that would make existing P available for the plants. Am
I missing something?

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv