Old 10-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Alan Silver

Default Plants with holes in leaves - nutrient deficiency ?

In article , LeighMo
writes
Looked at the site (fantastic) and am sure that I have P. bridgesii. I
might try taking it out and seeing if that helps.

It will be all right in a bucket for awhile. They don't even need heaters.
You should have a cover, though, to keep it from climbing out. I use an old
dinner plate.

I have a spare (small) tank, so I might use that. In a centrally heated
house it should be OK for a while without a heater.

But I've never known P. bridgesii to eat healthy plants. One time I thought
mine were eating my Amazon sword and crypt leaves, but when I reached in to
prune them the damaged leaves, they came loose very easily. They had rotted
away from the plant at the base, even though they looked fine. They were
emersed-growth leaves, that had died off when I submerged the plants in my
aquarium.

Well the plants are all pretty healthy (apart from the current problem).
Obviously there is the occasional dead leaf, but overall they are in
good health. I do see the apple snail going for the dead leaves, but
that fits with expectations.

You might try to catch whoever is eating your plants in the act. Sneak up on
the tank during the day, or shine a flashlight in at night.

Tried that, but never caught anyone. I have even watched the apple snail
working its way up a large leaf, munching as it goes, but never seen any
evidence that its eating the actual leaf.

Ho hum. Thanx for the help

--
Alan Silver
Please remove the "furryferret" if replying by e-mail