Old 10-03-2003, 09:09 PM
sw

Default Sprouting/Growing Edible Chestnut?

I found it remarkably easy to grow edible chestnuts.
Some years ago I planted some in a pot after Christmas and they all sprouted
and grew without any setbacks. Two of them are now strong healthy trees at
a location in S of Ireland. Sheltered, sunny position. They grow fairly
quickly and have a nice leaf which is unlike the other type of chestnut we
commonly see.
I have four more edible chestnuts coming on. They're still in pots. This
winter I decided to store some in the fridge (stratify?) before sowing them.
That may have been a mistake, and unnecessary. None appearing above the
soil yet and any I've tested are rotten.
== Sam ==