Old 27-02-2006, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Thornhill

Default Rehabilitating Soil

I have a 10x15' raised bed in a community garden. Every spring I add
compost and fertilizer, and then both in lesser quantities throughout
the season. Never letting the plot sit dormant for a season has finally
caught up with me (and that's really not an option because there are
rules about not planting your garden). Last June the soil became
completely spent, turning to grey dust. I dumped compost, peat moss and
grossly exceeded the amount of fertilizer you're supposed to use per
square foot. That got me through the summer and fall without incident.
So for this coming season, which for me starts early May in
Philadelphia, what can I do to avoid this problem from reoccurring? I
was thinking of buying cow manure -- how much should I buy, and after I
mix it in, how many days until I can plant? Any other suggestions?
Thanks.