Old 10-03-2003, 11:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Indoor herb growing basics (cuttings)

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:
"Sarah Dale" wrote:

Secondly - you don't grow more basil from cuttings - its not one of those
plants.

Au contraire, it roots just fine for me. Stick a slip in potting soil,
keep it damp. There's at least one variety, "African Black" I think but
don't hold me to it that's a sport and doesn't breed true from seed; all
the plants you buy are propagated from cuttings.

This is OK for you people in sub-tropical climes :-(

More seriously, we should be able to do the same, if we treat basil
as a hothouse plant. I have never tried cuttings, as it grows very
well from seed, but it is definitely too tender to grow outside in
most years in most places. Excluding varieties like the one you
mention, I agree with Sarah Dale. Basil grows very well on a sunny
window ledge INDOORS from spring until autumn (when it gets too dark).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679