Old 11-03-2003, 12:12 AM
Pete The Gardener

Default Too late to prune cherry tree?

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:19:32 GMT,
(subbykins{Chrd}) wrote:

We have a cherry tree, or 'stick' as I like to call it which is
budding at the moment but not blossoming yet. Is it too late to prune
it this year to try and get it to grow into a tree and develop more
branches? It's also in a lousy position, and has a rose bush growing
within about 10 inches of the base, I believe this will severly stunt
it's growth and fruit production, is it worth moving it or will that
kill it off completely?

You should wait until later, cherries are best pruned when they're in
full growth, to reduce the risk of silverleaf.
As far as moving it, you may well be better off moving the rose,
though if you decide to move the cherry then do it when it's dormant.
--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.