Old 27-02-2006, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default Stupid sunflower question

"Natty Dread" wrote in message
m...
I'm sure you master gardeners will laugh at me, but how does one grow a
sunflower to be 6 feet tall? I've tried growing sunflowers from seed for
the past two years, starting them in pots and transplanting the seedlings
to containers outside when it gets warm enough, but the seeds I've planted
have set one small bloom at about 18" and then nothing. (I haven't
pinched or anything - I was always told that sunflowers are the easiest
plant to grow, so I just planted 'em and watched 'em grow.) Are those
huge Kansas-style sunflowers perennials that take a few years to get that
tall? Any info appreciated!

Rhonda
Richmond, VA
USDA Zone 7

Get a soil test. Either buy a kit and do it yourself, TWICE (in case of
errors), or pay the very small price to have it done by your cooperative
extension. You have to eliminate soil factors first, and then other reasons.