Old 28-02-2006, 04:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross

Default Rehabilitating Soil

Thornhill wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:

Top with the manure and also enough gypsum almost to hide the manure.
This will help break up the clay. Then, top with enough bone meal
almost to hide the gypsum. The bone meal supplies phosphorus, which
must be present in the root zone ahead of time because it does not
dissolve and leach through the soil.

The clay is under control, so should I skip this step?

Thanks for the detailed directions.

If the clay is not impossible, you might omit the gypsum but not the
bone meal. Both gypsum and bone meal supply calcium, which is required
for root growth.

My clay is adobe, so sticky you spend more time getting it off the spade
than digging. They ruined a good source of bricks when they built this
tract. I use a 50-pound sack of gypsum in my standard residential (R1)
lot in less than a year. It allows me to grow plants that cannot
tolerate heavy, soggy soil.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my http://www.rossde.com/PGP/