Old 11-03-2003, 05:56 AM
anthony_eu

Default Senecio Mandraliscae aka Blue Chalk Sticks in Malaysia

I recently visited the Getty Museum in LA while visiting family back
home in the US. I admit to snipping a small bit of ice plant from the
walkway to their cactus garden. Really amazing place, if you have not
been and are in LA, go.

I managed to hold onto the iceplant in a glass of water for 2 weeks
before getting back to Malaysia and transplanting it. It looked like
it was going to make it but wilted up and died sadly after another 2
weeks. The bottom of them stem rotted and it went up from there. In
retrospect I should have not kept it in water..

I bought a house here and want to do the landscaping with succulents
and cactus. I love the way the Senecio Mandraliscae looks. I had never
seen it before visiting the Getty.

My question is -can I get seeds for this ? or can it only be grown
from cutting, if so where ? Also does anyone see a reason why it won't
grow here in Malaysia.

Plenty of sun, temp is always around 85, no seasons. Rains hard every
day for about 10 minutes then dries off quickly when the sun comes
back out. The sun here is INTENSE, I see other cactus/ succulents
growing well here though.

I have not seen ice plant here yet so I am thinking that there might
be a good reason for this- or maybe they just don't know about it.
Begonias were only introduced a few years ago and now they are
everywhere.

Thanks in advance for you replies.

-Anthony