Old 11-03-2003, 08:45 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default clematis planting

In article ,
Jane Lumley writes:
| In article , Rosie
| writes
| When's the best time of year to plant a clematis?
|
| Autumn, but early autumn, IIRC. The idea is that they don't need quite
| so much water - a new plant planted in late spring will need daily
| watering for six weeks. Early spring (but not in frozen ground) is next
| best.

Back when we had drier weather, planting in sandy soil in
Cambridge had to be done in autumn, as few plants would establish
enough of a root system to survive the summer.

But, now, with the incredibly wet weather, planting in autumn can
cause the plants to get root root before they establish, so spring
can be a better bet.

This applies to many plants, though not all.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679