Old 11-03-2003, 10:09 AM

Default Bird nesting boxes

"Joe" wrote in message
. ..
: On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 at 10:54:50 K wrote:
:
: : Sparrows are still very scarce in our part of SW London. We have not
: : seen Ring Necked Doves since last year. A pair of chaffinches have
: : recently taken to visit us, feeding on the lawn beneath the sunflower
: : feeders, but despite offering nyger, we have never ever seen a
goldfinch
: : in these parts.
: :
: : Joe
: :
: I'm in the Twickenham area and we have sparrows and plenty of collared
: doves. We have 6 feeders in our small garden and this year we have about
9
: goldfinches eating the mixed seed and even the peanuts. We don't have
: nyger. We regularly get about 15-16 different species of bird each week.
:
: I don't know if anybody has answered the query about the baby wood
pigeons
: as I've only just come into this thread but you probably don't notice
them
: because they are they don't leave the nest until they are fully grown but
: you can tell they are young as they do not have the white 'flash' at the
: side of the neck that the adult birds have.. The young collared doves
are
: also the same size as the adults but do not have the collar.
:
: K
: Are you close to a park, large gardens, or wooded area? I'm in 'Old'
: Malden; while we see lots of Greenfinches we are short of all other
: finches and sparrows.
: --
We have a school field at the end of the road and a sports field next to
that and we have quite a lot of large trees around here including a few
large cedars as this area was the Duke of Argyle's estate many moons ago.

We used to get a lot of greenfinches, but then they disappeared for about 10
yrs. Now, in the last couple of years, they are back.